11 Benefits from Cherries Health wise
Cherries are reddish in color and are sweet in taste. There are seven types of edible cherries and all have a glycemic index of 22 which is less than many other fruits. The seven types of cherries are:
- Since the glycemic index is 22 it protects an individual from diabetes.
- An intake of cherries also helps an individual to gain the essential sleep that is necessary for the body and the brain in order to be able to function properly.
- Research shows that that there is a decrease in abdominal fat with an intake of tart cherries which is slightly our and less sweet.
- Cherries are rich in anti oxidants and this protects the brain functions and it has been medically proven that it reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Research undertaken in the Boston University shows that there is a lower risk of gout attacks in individuals who take cherries regularly. The risk is lowered by 30%
- Marathon runners were used as participants in a research where cherry juice was given twice daily to runners in one group and a second group was given no cherry juice. The results showed that the group of marathon runners who were given cherry juice twice daily reported lesser muscle pains than the group that were not given any cherry juice
- High content of potassium is available in cherries. This protects the heart rate and the blood pressure levels.
- An intake or cherries on a daily basis also helps to reduce hypertension attacks in individuals
- Helps relieve the symptoms of osteoarthritis
- An intake of cherries in any form also reduces the risks of colon cancer in individuals
The nutritional value in sweet and tart cherries per 100g is given below to show how valuable this fruit is for an individual.
|Carbohydrates||16.1 g||12.8 g|
|Cholesterol||0 g||0 g|
|Pantothenic Acid||0.199 mg||0.143mg|
Cherries are seasonal but they can be stored so that they are available though out the year. The benefits of cherries and the results of the intake of cherries is one that should be taken seriously. It is excellent in keeping the sugar levels down and since one of the causes of diabetes is hypertension it also reduces the levels of hyper tension in a person indirectly making it possible to lower sugar levels in a natural way.
Due to rich natural nutrients in cherries it is sometimes referred to as a superfood. In U.K. 16th July is known every year as Cherry Day. In addition it is believed that cherry juice also lightens the dark spots o the skin and retards the process of aging. The aging process becomes slower due to the high multivitamin intake in every cup of cherry. All the vitamins that are present in cherries helps to prevent hair loss and supports the growth of hair. Cherries can be taken in any form in the diet to increase the health levels in individuals.