Ways to Heal Cracked Feet
Cracked feet can be painful for anyone. This occurs due to lack of proper foot care. The feet area is usually dry and lack of moisture can cause dry and cracked feet. This condition is common among those with diabetes, athlete’s foot and elderly. Zinc and omega- 3 fatty acid deficiencies can also cause cracked feet. Excessive pressure on the feet makes the skin of the feet dry and crack. Ways to take care of cracked feet and its prevention are listed below.
1. Moisturize: Apply generous amounts of herbal skin care moisturizers on the feet before bed time. Avoid using products that contain alcohol as it can irritate the skin more. Natural oil can also be used to treat dry skin in the feet.
2. Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water is important to keep the skin soft and supple. Dehydration leads to dry skin and breakouts. Ensure that you drink at least 10 glasses of water a day.
3. Healthy Diet: Include vitamin E rich foods in the diet to treat cracked feet. Avoid eating junk foods as it can worsen the condition. Vitamin E-rich foods are almonds, sunflower seeds, and avocado. Vitamin E promotes the growth of new skin cells. Vitamin E oil can also be rubbed onto the affected parts of the feet to aid in healing.
4. Wear the Right Shoes: It is really important to wear right fitting shoes to allow your feet to breathe. The type of shoe you wear should allow proper air circulation and keep your feet sweat-free.
5. Avoid Caffeine: Caffeinated beverages such as coffee, alcohol, tea can worsen cracked feet. Caffeine makes the skin itchy. If you cannot avoid caffeinated beverages, then at least limit its consumption by a cup or two.
6. Warm Water Tub: Soaking your cracked and tired feet in a tub of warm water can be relaxing. All you need is a tablespoon of rock salt, two tablespoons of lemon juice and few drops of rose water in a half a tub of warm water. Soak your feet for 20 minutes and gently scrub the dry skin with a pumice stone.
7. Oil Massage: Olive oil can be used to massage your cracked feet and aid in healing. Apply some amount of olive oil on the affected areas under the skin and give a gentle massage to improve blood circulation. Leave it overnight and wash it off in the morning. Almond oil, sesame oil and coconut oil can also be used.
8. Foot Mask: Pamper your feet with banana mask. Mash one big ripe banana and make a smooth paste. Apply the paste over the cracked areas in your feet and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash your feet and pat dry. Follow this procedure twice a week to heal cracked feet.
9. Rice Flour is a natural scrub to treat cracked feet. Mix coarse rice flour, honey and lemon juice to make a paste. Apply the paste on the affected areas. This helps remove the dead skins under the feet and makes the skin soft and supple.
10. Vaseline: Mix a teaspoon of Vaseline with some lemon juice and rub it all over the feet. Cover the feet with socks and leave it overnight. This helps remove dryness and retains moisture. Follow this treatment everyday for effective results.