The Benefits of Jackfruit
The Jackfruit is a fruit that is pale yellow in color and it is sweet when ripe. The Jackfruit is also eaten as a cooked vegetable dish when it is unripe. The biological name of the Jackfruit is: Artocarpus heterorphyllus. This fruit is belongs to the Mulberry Family. There are many benefits of the Jackfruit:
- The high Vitamin C content strengthens the immune system by strengthening the white blood cells
- It is also a protective agent against bacterial and viral infection
- It eliminates the free radicals that cause cancer
- It also slows the process of degenerative cells that gives the fruit anti ageing properties
- It has anti ulcer properties that avoid ulcers in the digestive tract.
- The colon mucous membrane is protected b eating Jackfruit since it can remove carcinogenic chemicals from the large intestine.
- Bowels movement is made easy and it cures constipation
- Jackfruit is high in fiber content and provides the necessary fiber to the body.
- A regular intake of this fruit retards the process of macular degeneration and night blindness because of the high fiber content
- The presence of glucose and fructose increase energy levels
- Large amounts of magnesium are present in Jackfruits. This absorbs the calcium into the body and strengthens the bones.
- The Copper content in Jackfruits increases the thyroid metabolism which promotes the production and the absorption of the hormone.
- Regular intake of Jackfruit or the juice reduces the risks of cardiovascular diseases
- The Potassium content in the Jack fruit keeps the blood pressure levels low.
- Vitamin B6 is present in Jackfruit which decreases the levels of homocystein in the blood
These are 15 important benefits of eating Jackfruits because of the properties that the Jack fruit contains.
In one cup of jackfruit which is equivalent to 165g the health nutrients that are available are:
- Protein 2.8 g
- Water 121g
- Ash 1.7 g
- Total calories 157g
- Carbohydrates 38g
- Fats and Fatty Acids 1.1 g
- Vitamin A 182 IU
- Vitamin C 23mg
- Thiamin 173mcg
- Riboflavin 91mcg
- Niacin 1.5mg
- Vitamin B6 543 mcg
- Folate 40mcg
- Calcium 40 mg
- Iron 380 mcg
- Magnesium 48mg
- Phosphorous 35mg
- Potassium 739mg
- Sodium 3.3 mg
- Zinc 215 mcg
- Copper 125mcg
- Manganese 71 mcg
- Selenium 0.99 mcg
The fruit is low in fat which helps to maintain body weight at the right levels. Due to the health benefits of this fruit Thailand and Vietnam export the fruit to other regions and these two countries are also the large producers of the Jackfruit, even though the origin of the fruit is India.
- The levels of Beta Carotene are 61 ug
- Lutein Zeaxanthin 157 ug
- Vitamin B1 0.105mg
- Vitamin B2 0.055mg
- Vitamin B3 0.92mg
- Vitamin B5 0.235 mg
- Vitamin B9 24 ug
Researching is being undertaken to see how the Jackfruit benefits the asthma patients as there are reports that it has cured asthma patients with a daily intake in the form of fruit and or juice.
The Jackfruit seed is also beneficial. If it is dipped in cold mild and ground and the paste applied on the wrinkles it shows visible results in about 4 weeks to 5 weeks.
The Jackfruit seed can also be soaked in milk and honey for a while. Then it should be ground to a paste and this paste should be applied to the face. The properties of the seed gives a glowing skin in minutes.
Since the blood circulation levels of the body are increased the hair growth in individuals as well if taken on a regular basis.